Bikram Yoga is a series of 26 postures selected by Bikram Chouduory performed in a specific order to maximize structural alignment and organ function benefits. Bikram yoga is the original popular hot yoga method. Bikram and other hot yoga methods are practiced in heated studios with temperatures of 98 to 104 degrees.
Bikram Yoga Studio in Costa Rica
We have a lovely yoga studio in Costa Rica that we heat for Bikram classes or other styles of hot yoga The studio is on a jungle mountainside near the beach. We have two powerful indoor safe propane heaters and two electric heaters.
Bikram Yoga Retreats in Costa Rica with B-Fire Nov 12-18, 19-25 2017
B-Fire will be hosting two week long Bikram yoga retreats here in Costa Rica in November.
Ready for a Costa Rica yoga vacation?! Join B-Fire this Nov ’17. First week Nov 12-18 , second week Nov 19-26. Come for one week or stay for 2 with unlimited activities! Contact : email@example.com.
Check out this promo video:
World Champions Esak Garcia and Joseph Encinia have also both taught master classes at DoceLunas. Xenia Atherton and Frank Gantman also taught a Bikram retreat in Costa Rica here at DoceLunas
If you have never tried Bikram before, here is a little background. It’s incredible what you can accomplish in the heat!
Bikram Yoga Postures
The Bikram series of yoga postures convey structural alignment benefits and organ function benefits. The heat increases muscle flexibility allowing deeper stretching and greater organ function benefits. Along with structural alignment and breathing, Bikram yoga focuses on using compression and extension of body compartments to provide increased blood circulation and contributes to healthy organ function.
In his recent book Outliers, Malcom Gladwell proposes that one of the key components of excellence in any endeavor is repeated intelligent practice over time and the other is mentoring. You can get amazing health benefits practicing yoga on your own over time, but if you are just starting out, imagine how much you can multiply those benefits if you start out right from the beginning by finding a great teacher?
We present the Bikram series here for those interested in taking up the practice but recommend you start out with a class. If you do “try this at home” be careful, and be aware that there are huge amounts of subtle but important details that you can best get from an instructor that are not included here. Also we highly recommend the buddy system in case of collapse if you are going to be using heat.
Bikram Yoga Posture Series List
Here is a list of the postures in the Bikram yoga series.
- Standing Deep Breathing
- Half Moon Pose – Ardha Chandrasana
- Hands To Feet Pose – Pada-Hastasana
- Awkward Pose – Utkatasana
- Eagle Pose – Garudasana
- Standing Head To Knee Pose- Dandayamana Janushirasana
- Standing Bow Pulling Pose – Dandayamana Dhanurasana
- Balancing Stick Pose – Tuladandasana
- Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose -Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimottanasana
- Triangle Pose – Trikonasana
- Standing Separate Leg Head To Knee Pose – Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Janushirasana
- Tree Pose – Tadasana
- Toe Stand Pose – Padangustasana
- Dead Body Pose – Savasana
- Wind Removing Pose – Pavanamuktasana
- Sit up
- Cobra Pose – Bhujangasana
- Locust Pose – Salabhasana
- Full Locust Pose – Poorna Salabhasana
- Bow Pose – Dhanurasana
- Fixed Firm Pose -Supta Vajrasana
- Half Tortoise Pose – Ardha Kurmasana
- Camel Pose – Ustrasana
- Rabbit Pose – Sasangasana
- Head To Knee Pose with Stretching Pose – Janushirasana with Paschimottanasana
- Spine Twisting Pose – Ardha – Matsyendrasana
- Blowing In Firm – Khapalbhati
Come practice Bikram yoga with us. Retreat schedule coming soon! (Last updated May 9. We are expecting to post a retreat date by June 9.)